If you have frizzy, dry and damaged hair like me, everyday is a bad hair day. Some days were more upsetting than others, when I would style my hair one way but it would come out another.
My hairstyling results – totally not I expected. On top of that, my dry itchy and irritating scalp wreaking havoc on my skin and hair.
There used to be days when I would spend hours in hairstyling sections of department stores, checking out the latest frizz free styling products, dreaming about my hair looking like the ones those models wearing them in commercials, so smooth and silky.
It was during my intense research that I found out that the benefits of using yogurt as a conditioner are far too many than I can think of, as opposed to using any commercial products.
Since then, I have kept a list of my recipes for making homemade conditioner using yogurt.
For those of us, who have frizzy and untamed hair and have tried almost everything, I am sharing my recipes and instructions on using natural homemade conditioners made from yogurt. I have tried these and results were unbelievable. My hair is so much in control and has much better volume, shine and body than ever before.
I do not like to chemically treat my hair because I believe they can only damage them more and cannot be long term solution. While yogurt doesn’t really help with “growth” of the hair, it can be used ON the hair, and it works as a good conditioner and to help make the hair smooth and shiny.
Here are five ways you can use to yogurt to condition your hair and make them healthy, silky and shiny.
1. Simple Yogurt / Greek Yogurt
This is the easiest and least time consuming method. Follow these steps to effectively apply yogurt as a conditioner to your hair:
- Simply whip some plain yogurt in a bowl for use on dry hair before showering. The amount depends on how long your hair is.
- Part your hair in the center and run the yogurt into the exposed scalp.
- Start either of the two sides and part your hair again an inch farther and apply the yogurt to this area.
- Continue the process until the yogurt has been massaged into your entire scalp.
- Brush on the remaining yogurt to the rest of your hair from roots to ends.
- Leave the yogurt in for at least an hour but no more than two.
- You may then rinse the yogurt out with lukewarm water and a mild shampoo. You can use a conditioner if you want.
2. Greek Yogurt and Honey Deep Conditioner
You will absolutely love this homemade conditioner made with Greek yogurt and honey. You can use simple yogurt or Greek yogurt. I love using Greek Yogurt for my curly frizzy hair.
- Take 1 cup Greek Yogurt (or simple full fat yogurt), 1 tbsp avocado oil (or oil of your choice), 4 – 5 tbsp pure honey.
- Whip all these together and apply just like a conditioner.
- You will love your super soft and smooth curls.
3. Yogurt and Banana Homemade Conditioner
Who knew banana could be used with yogurt to condition your hair and make them shinier and smoother. Well, here is the recipe you can use to make your own homemade hair conditioner.
- Take 1 chopped banana, 2 tbsp yogurt
- Blend together in a blender and make a paste
- Spread this on the damaged hair, leaving it in for at least an hour
- Shampoo your hair
- If your hair is extra dry or very frizzy, you can oil your hair before applying this mixture to your hair. You can let the oil in your hair for an hour before applying this mixture. Of course, this is optional.
4. Yogurt and Egg Hair Conditioner
Follow these simple steps to use yogurt and egg as hair conditioner:
- Whip yogurt and add an egg. The egg white part helps with strength and yolk increases the shine of the hair.
- Apply this mask to your hair just like section 1 above.
- Wear the mask for at least an hour, but no more than two. Make sure to wash your hair out with tepid water. You don’t want to end up with scrambled eggs in your hair from heat.
- Use a basic shampoo that is not specifically clarifying, moisturizing or a dandruff shampoo. You’ll be negating the effects of the yogurt mask.
5. Yogurt and Mustard Oil / Olive Oil
This method is slightly different than that of the ones above in that it can be applied either before or after shampooing, but is recommended more as a conditioner rather than a mask.
- Whip some yogurt and add one or two tablespoons of either mustard oil or olive oil.
- After washing hair with a mild shampoo, apply this conditioner and leave in for about 15 minutes. Make sure to have more parts yogurt than oil so you don’t need to reapply shampoo to get this mask out of your hair.
- If you feel you have used too much oil, you may shampoo again, but the idea is to have a little oil that is indiscernible remaining your hair to condition your strands.
Yogurt contains lots of vitamins and proteins, so if you are looking for a quick protein treatment you can make it a part of your hair treatment. Protein treatments should always be followed up with a conditioner and moisturizer. Many women complain of dry or stiff hair after a protein treatment, so make sure you are moisturizing afterward.
Here’s to shiny, healthy, moisturized and frizz free hair!!!
Ladies, do you have any hair treatments that you apply to your hair? Please do share in the comment box below!